Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hard Work in a Difficult Year

We have had another difficult year - we have "lived" in Wisconsin for a week, a hotel for a week, a time share for a month, a vacation rental for two months, the Morning Glory Cottage since late April & we are moving again at the end of the year.

Thankfully, our home school program is flexible & portable so we can continue working no matter what our living situation is. And Rile hasn't just worked; he has worked hard. He finished the 2nd grade curriculum last January, a semester ahead even with our having moved about 5 or 6 times since the start of the school year. Now, almost a year later, he has completed the 3rd grade curriculum at the end of the Fall semester. While it took him a full school year, he is still ahead by a semester. This time I have requested his teacher put in for him to be advanced to the next grade level not just to the next year's curriculum.

He & I have discussed that we are going to make a renewed commitment to this blog. A plan in place had been that he would return to public school next year for the 5th grade. I am not too sure about the school district in the part of San Diego where we are moving to temporarily. Just because we had said public school next year doesn't mean I will send him if the school district isn't up to the level he has achieved. I know the few districts I will happily send him to; if I can relocate us to one of those before the beginning of the next school year then I will stick to my "plan" for his re-integration.

My main reasons for sending him back into the fray are; socialization before the scary preteen years are in full force, so I could either go back to school or work and because I am finished with home school. It has been a rewarding & fulfilling experience. But I am tired. I know we could do another year; even continue into middle school. I just don't think it's fair to all of us. He needs friends, I need something else besides staying focused on my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment